Monday, May 12, 2014

Grandma and the temperamental cow

 My grandma Girty Taylor was a very determined woman. We had a cow that would only let my dad milk her. It happened that my dad had to go away on a work assignment which took him from home for an extended time. First we could not get the cow to go into the stall to milk her. But we had a little feist dog that was a great stock dog. We named her curly, she would chew the heels off of a cow if the cow would not do what she wanted the cow to do. So we sic-ed curly on the cow and he put her into the stall in short order. After a few times all we had to do was start calling the dog and the cow would go into the stall. However, she would kick like a Missouri mule. So my grandma had my brother and me to help her build a shoot that was too narrow for the cow to turn around in. We built it so we could insert a wood two-by-four in front of her back legs which prevented her from kicking my grandmother. The cow won the battle by holding up her milk until she went dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment