Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Automobiles I have owned continued - 4


            The worst deal I ever made on an automobile was when I purchased a Hillman. I am not sure of the model but I know that it was a small foreign made auto. The picture at the left is a Hillman. While mine was not exactly like the one pictured it was somewhat similar. Mine was most likely a later model than the one pictured.
            It sounded real good when I drove it off the lot in the Los Angeles area. We were still living in Riverside Ca. at the time. It still was running like a top when I got home with it. A few days later I had agreed to go on a trip to the south desert to shoot doves and my friend and I started in my new auto. Pretty soon after we started it started making a knocking noise. The further we went the worse it sounded. As I remember there were some others going with us in another car so we parked my car and went on our trip with the others and picked up my car on the way back home.
            A few days later I dropped the oil pan to have a look for what I thought was causing the knocking sound. I found that the inserts that go between the piston rods and the crankshaft were badly worn and that was what was making the noise. The reason that it did not make noise when I first began driving was that someone had put tinfoil material between the inserts and the crankshaft. It took several miles for this to beat out so that the noise could begin. This could have been remedied by just replacing the inserts, but I also discovered that the crankshaft was cracked; A job that was beyond my skills then and now.
            I think I had paid around $1600.00 for the car. After tax and license was added and I paid a down payment I owed about $1400.00 on the car. I was still in college and had gone in debt for clothes and school expenses so in the early part of 1960’s this was a blow to us financially. I took the car back to the lot that I had bought it from and they told me that used cars were sold as is and no guarantee came with it. I went to the company that had loaned me the money to buy the car and asked for additional money to get the needed repair. They would not loan me any more money. I gave them the keys and said to them the car is in your parking lot it is yours and I left. They sold the car for junk, a little over $100.00. They came after me for the difference.
            Credit was easy to get in that era and I had gone in debt up to my neck. I needed a car to get to work and to school so I went to a lending company in Riverside and tried to consolidate my debts. This company told me they could not loan me the money but if I would go bankrupt they would loan me the money I needed to consolidate and buy another car. I talked to the people who were clerks at the bankruptcy court and they told me I did not need a lawyer. They gave me the papers with instructions on how to file. Two of the companies I owed money to came to court but told the Judge they were there only as observers. Out in the hall after the judge ruled in favor of my petition I signed a new contract with both companies. The next day I went to the loan company and they loaned me money to consolidate my debts and buy another automobile. I am sorry to say that the company who loaned me the money to buy the Hillman car was the only company to not in the consolidation loan. I did not pay them anything I felt badly about that years later but at the time I was angry with them for forcing me into bankruptcy.

            On a good note by the time I graduated from college in June of 1965 I started to seminary  debt free.      

No comments:

Post a Comment