Tuesday, July 22, 2014

If a handful of grapes is good a bucket full may not be better

When I was around six years old my family made our first trip to California to work in the harvesting of fruit. My mother had a sister who lived in California at that the time and we went there to earn money because times were hard. Our country was just coming out of the great depression. We worked at various jobs such as picking hops, chopping cotton, picking peaches and cutting grapes. This was a young boys dream to see acres of grapes that were ripe for the picking and eating. Being six years old I could not work but there was nothing keeping me from eating all the grapes I could hold. My folks were busy working and I was left to tend to myself so I began to eat grapes. They were wine grapes. They were white grapes and sweet to the taste. I ate and I ate on that first day. After a while I got very sick. So much so that I began to vomit until I thought my insides were going to come out also. I learned that if a little is good than a lot is not better.

No comments:

Post a Comment