Monday, October 28, 2013

Stories told by my mother about my early childhood

            After my birth they would take me to the field and put me on a pallet in the shade of a tree and my sister would have the task of looking after me while my mother and dad worked. She would have to look after my brother also who was 17 months older than me. So it was early in life that I learned to lay dawn in the shade while others worked.
            I was a compliant child according to my mother. I did not make demands but did as I was told. One day when she was going to a ladies bible study I ask to go with her. She told me I could not go because it was for ladies so I said to her, “Will you give me a drank of water then”, which she did.

            One year we went to Mississippi County to pick cotton. I was close to six years old at the time. I would go in front of my father and pick cotton and put in little piles for him to grab and put in his sack. When I would get tired of that I would take a bucket of water with a dipper and walk up and dawn the cotton rows and sell a drink of water for 1 cent. So I sold water before the bottle water becomes the fad.

No comments:

Post a Comment